History of the museum

Estampe,

Estampe, "Fabrique de Papiers peints de Mrs. Jn. ZUBER & Cie", Editeur Godefroy Engelman, Mulhouse, 1823, Dessinateur Jean Mieg (1791-1862), lithographie coloriée sur papier

Rixheim’s connection with the wallpaper industry began in 1797 when Hartmann Risler & Cie, later to become Zuber & Cie (still operating), set up its factory in the old Teutonic Knights Commanderie. The Museum of Wallpaper, which opened in 1983, holds the factory’s collections as well as collections donated by the Museum of Printed Textiles in Mulhouse, to which numerous acquisitions and donations have since been added.